Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chapter 2; Getaway

I hadn't left the park after Blake had hung up, I just sat on one of the benches and sat lost in my depressing thoughts.  Suddenly I was interrupted by a man, "Hello Miss, are you alright?"
Caught by surprise, I leapt up off the bench and replied, "Yes, I'm fine, um thanks for your concern?"
     "You're not fine, I can tell by the tone of your voice you're lying."
I couldn't find an excuse, this man was clearly observant and there would be no tricking him.
     "Look stranger, why does it matter to you so much anyways.  It's kind of personal, I'd prefer to be left alone," I sighed.
     "My name is Cesar, not stranger.  You'd be surprised at how many people feel better after they have told me their troubles."
I sighed again and replied "Well I'm not sure anything is going to make me feel better for a while, you're wasting your time."
     "No one is a waste of my time," he said boldly.

So I told him about my mom, and he listened to me without saying a word, he just nodded his head and gestured for me to continue whenever I paused for a reply.  As it crazy as it sounds, it did make me feel a lot better.
Our conversation was ended by my shift at work, and I had to get going across the street.
      "Well, I must admit, I do feel a lot better.  I have to get to work now though." I shyly said.
      "Glad to hear you feel better," he said. "But wait, I never caught your name."
I smiled, "Miranda." I said.
With that I darted towards work before I was late.  I hated leaving, it felt like I had barely had enough time to talk to Cesar.  I hoped that I would get the chance to talk to him again soon, he was a really nice guy.
My wish was granted during one of my early morning jogs.  He was walking down the sidewalk and as soon as he saw me he called out my name.
     "Hey Miranda, how are you doing today?  Better I hope?" he asked.
     "Yes, I'm a lot better thanks to you." I smiled.
     "Great," he smiled back. 
We talked for what seemed like forever and he even gave me his number, "Just in case you need anyone to talk to again."
But the happiness didn't last very long because soon I had to attend my mother's funeral.  It broke my heart to know that she was really gone.  Blake threw a little get together at his house after the funeral and invited a bunch of mom's close friends.
Even the Alvi brothers had come.  It was really nice to be surrounded by the people that mom had loved so much.  They had all shared their favorite memories with mom, and it actually felt like she was still there with us, laughing along with the stories.
It was really nice to see dad again, I hadn't seen him in such a long time it seemed like.
     "You look so much like her Miranda," he would constantly repeat.  I had gotten her looks and Blake had gotten her personality, dad couldn't have been prouder.
After the day of the funeral I had spent a few days indoors in solitude.  I realized it was because I needed someone to talk to, and I called Cesar.  He suggested that what I needed was a nice night at the local dance club.  He claimed that I needed to get out and have a good time.  I agreed, and he came and picked me up around 8.
I have to admit he was right, a nice night out was exactly what I needed.  Cesar and I had a great time together.  We danced.
We had a few drinks.
We did a lot of flirting.
And Cesar would wrap his arms around me whenever he saw even the slightest gleam of sadness in my eyes.  I had the perfect night with him, and it was a lovely getaway from reality.

1 comment:

  1. Cesar seems like a really nice guy! Glad she met someone who can comfort her when she's feeling down.

    ReplyDelete