Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chapter 3: Stormy Seas


I had been quite busy between work, achieving my dream, and spending time with my friends.  I had been doing well in work though and earning a lot of raises.  I kept my highschool job as a bookstore clerk, Blake begged me to stay and work with him and Mitch.
I spent most of my nights looking up at the beautiful starry sky.  I could see all of the constellations from my new telescope.
Cesar and I had become great friends over the years as well.  We had enjoyed spending time together.  But I was starting to feel something a little stronger than friendship towards him, and on one night in particular I had finally decided to let him know how I was feeling.
We were at a small park alongside a quiet pond and underneath the beautiful night sky.  The moment seemed so perfect, and I just leaned in and kissed him out of the blue.  He was caught by surprise there was no doubt about that, but he didn't oblige or anything so I figured he had similar feelings.
There weren't words to explain the look in his eyes afterwards.  He looked almost sad.
     "Miranda I don't want to hurt you, you're my best friend, it's just I can't do this," he said, looking me right in the eyes.
     "What do you mean?" I asked, trying not to sound too hurt.
     "Miranda, I'm not the type of guy that can stay in a committed relationship.  I want to be your friend because I don't want to hurt you so I'm being honest.  Yes, I admit that I'm attracted to you but I wouldn't want to 'stay' with you either.  Miranda, staying with one woman gets boring.  I'm not the only one that's like this you know," he explained, quite jerk-like.
How dare he say that!
     "So basically you use girls?  You lead them on to get what you want and then you just ditch them for another?" I hissed at him furiously.
     "Miranda, don't be like that.  I mean it's not really like that, it's um complicated well I don't know...." he rambled.
     "Leave Cesar, get out of my face.  I don't even want to look at you right now!" I shrieked.
He ran out of there faster than a speeding car.  I could tell he didn't expect that kind of reaction out of me.  It felt like our whole friendship had been a lie.  I had no idea he was really like this.
Cesar came over a few nights later.  I had gotten over most of the anger and I was just feeling sadness by that point.
     "Why are you here Cesar?" I asked, refusing to even look at him.
     "Miranda I'm sorry," he apologized. "I still want to be your friend.  Can we at least be friends?"
     "I don't know Cesar, I'm confused.  You're not the person I thought you were."
     "I know Miranda, and I don't know how to make it up to you, but I'm sorry I really am."
I didn't know if I could believe him.  It was likely that he was lying.  More lies I thought just what I need.
Before I knew it he had grabbed me and pulled me in for a kiss.  Why was he doing this to me?  He knew I couldn't resist kissing him back, I mean I still had strong feelings for him after all.  But eventually I pulled away, quite upset.  I got the idea that maybe he was trying to use me, which wasn't going to fly.
     "What the heck Cesar!"  I yelled at him.
     "Oh please Miranda don't act like you didn't like it!"  he countered.
     "I am not going to be a poor victim involved in your stupid game.  I thought you were better than this but I know what you were trying to do all along.  From the moment you first talked to me, it was probably all part of your stupid scheme.  Love them and leave them.  I see all of your intentions now!"  I was doing everything I could to keep myself from crying.
     "Miranda who was there for you when your mom passed away!   Don't you remember?  I was the one that you talked to about it for hours, I let you cry on my shoulder, I helped you move on and this is how you repay me!?"
     "Every bit of it was probably just part of your plan to get me into your bed!!  Well I've got news for you, I'm not a pathetic idiot like the other girls you're probably used to.  You're not going to trick me!" I screamed.
     "You know what, I don't have to take this Miranda." he calmly said.
With that, he turned around and ran off, just like he had by the pond.
      "Yeah that's right, run off you coward.  Never come back if you know what's good for you!" I screamed at the top of my lungs proudly.
I was actually quite happy with myself, I was too smart to be a victim and I didn't fall into his trap.  Well, not completely.  But I had still fallen for him...
To make matters even worse, I was robbed that night.  And they took my mother's last gift to me, my treadmill.  Perfect, just fricken perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! That's so sad! I hope she meets someone who treats her better soon.

    ReplyDelete