Friday, July 1, 2011

Chapter 3: Mistakes, Mistakes, and More Mistakes

Leah came over a lot in the next few months.  Our relationship was going strong and surprisingly my celebrity status wasn't getting her and unwanted attention as well.  We tried to keep our dates simple and hidden from the public and thankfully it worked.  On one particular night though, everything went wrong.  She was visiting at my apartment and out of the blue she said something that made my nerves shatter.
     "Damien I want to be able to spend more time with you, I was thinking maybe you'd like to move in with me?" she asked, I could tell it was hard for her.
     "Leah I don't think that would be a good idea, it would draw too much attention to us.  I thought that you didn't want that," I said, but mostly I just wasn't ready for that kind of thing.  I liked living by myself in my apartment.
     "Well I suppose you're right, I don't know what I was thinking," she replied, though I could tell she was hurt.
     "Look, how about we go to that club down by the beach?  I heard it's going to be really packed tonight and to be honest I don't really care if the paparazzi see us, I should be able to properly take my lady out for some fun," I smiled at her, hoping it would cheer her up.
     "Okay," she agreed with a smile.
So we went to the club and immediately hit the dance floor.  It was crowded and I was thankful, it was easier for me to avoid the paparazzi that way.  I could tell Leah was having a great time, and that made me feel a million times better.
We had decided to order some drinks, and I ordered us both the most expensive and strongest drinks they had.  That was a huge mistake.
Things started getting fuzzy after that, and the last thing I remember from the club was making out with Leah.
I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and dizziness.  I had a terrible hangover, but what was worse than that was Leah was next to me in the bed.  Though I was confused, bits and pieces of the events of last night started to gather in my head.  Oh no I thought to myself.
I started to get up slowly and quietly hoping not to wake her.  Maybe I could sneak out and lay on the couch to make her think that nothing happened, and hopefully she wouldn't remember anything.  But I heard stirring coming from the other side of the bed, and my heart sunk.
She lifted herself up off the bed, took one look around the room, and then stared directly at me.
     "Did we-" she said before I cut her off.
     "Yeah, we did," I sighed, lowering my head in shame.
Her skin got really pale, and a horrified expression grew on her face.
      "I have to g-go," she stuttered, then hurriedly she picked up her clothes off the floor and ran out of the room.
I felt horrible, I should have never took her out last night.  I should have just said yes and moved in with her.  Why was I so selfish?  Suddenly my phone began ringing.
     "Hello?" I asked.
     "Hey Damien, look I'm really sorry about how I talked to you at my last party," it was Shanna.
     "Oh, yeah don't worry about it Shanna, I'm never drinking again," I said, my head still in throbbing pain.
     "Why, what happened?" she asked worriedly.
I explained everything to her, how could I not?  She was my best friend and she was the only one who understood me.  Also she could see right through me, and always knew when something was wrong.  She knew the right things to say to cheer me up.  She could make me smile even at the worst of times.
And as usual, by the end of the conversation she had me smiling and feeling much better.  She had assured me everything would work out, I just had to give Leah some space and wait until she was ready to talk to me.  I couldn't believe that I almost lost Shanna for good, I was never going to do anything to put our friendship at risk ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment